Subject: [amos-list] Re: TCP commands.
From: "Rev. Giark To You" <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew Crowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:10:46 -0500

From: "Rev. Giark To You" <[email-masked]>

On 16-Aug-99, Andrew Crowe wrote:
>   How? None of the InetD setting have anything to do with a port number...

You use the services entries to set the port data up
name: jamesbond
ID: 234 (port number)
protocol: tcp

>   No no no no, that really wouldn't work becuase:
>I don't want the game loaded up JUST becuase someone's accessing that port on
>your computer, that'd be silly as anyone could start JamesBond on your amiga
>even if you really didn't want to.

Why else would someone be accessing port 234 (to stick with our example)?

>   Why not just do
>Echo >RAM:tmp %p
>and then where the program checks for a connection:
>if exist("ram:tmp")
>   open in 1,"ram:tmp"
>   etc etc...

For a net game where people link, somewhere there needs to be a server,
running all the time, to route the traffic. Only a direct link from 1 computer
to 1 computer, no other parties, can operate without a middle man. Someone
will have to be running a james bond hub. That's where inetd comes in.

>   Although I still don't see how InetD is supposed to be set up, and having
>people try to set it up on there own is asking a bit much I think...

Bitch at the miami guy for not having any docs. I've set up my own web servers
and pop3 (mail) servers, so it is not all that difficult.

Well met and godspeed,
                      Rev. Giark
                                             ICQ 12235820
                                          [email-masked]
                                     [email-masked]
                                      http://24.112.23.20/~giark/
                            .----------------------------------------------.
                            |      ______  ______    _____  Coming Soon!   |
                            |     / ____/ / __  /   / ___ \ ï¿½SoloTrek III  |
                            |    / /__   / /_/ /   / /  / /                |
                            |   / ___/  / ____ \  / /  / /  ï¿½Cap'n Bubba   |
                            |  / /     / /___/ / / /  / /   And The Nasty  |
                            | /_/     /_______/ /_/  /_/    Alien Menace   |
                            |    Fly By Nite Videe-Oh!                     |
                            |    Amiga 1200 030/50MHz 2Mb Chip 32Mb Fast   |
                            `----------------------------------------------'

--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Drawing is held each week through August 20.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official AMOS WWW: http://members.xoom.com/AmosFactory/front.html